Sunday, February 21, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day - late, I know...caution, there's some ramblin' rockin' through here!

I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Marilyn Monroe

 



This was my gift to myself as a single woman on my own for Valentine's Day. I enjoyed the day with two dear long time friends, having fun with fancy food. I don't have memories of a Valentine's day that met the marketing industry ideal, or even mine for that matter - exclusive, special, hand holding, eye gazing with reflections of mutual beautiful memories bouncing back and forth in the laughter that decorates the fabulous dinner just yards away from crashing ocean waves... nope I haven't given this ANY thought at all.

I imagine the MAD MEN episode where Marilyn dies was accurate in its depiction of a devastating loss, though few were even casually acquainted with her. For me, especially seeing new photos resurrected of her reading James Joyce-- whatever it was, her quote above really says it all to me. Sometimes you do what you do because you can count on it changing and it's the best option at the time. You don't always get to know if it's a reason, a season or a lifetime. Things change no matter what, and you adjust. And then when you are acclimated to the latest atmosphere- it will change again. Nothing like a few good cliches to explain the truth of the human experience- the roughest roads often lead to the best views seen with the strongest eyes and it all makes sense in the rear view mirror.


Finally, watching the Olympics, the athletes all have this look in their eyes and make me think that they made decisions with their lives, their careers that few would make. It is what it is. People talk about things. People think about things. And then feelings and behavior get stirred into the mix-- well that's when you can pull the safety bar over your head, hear the gears engage and know that the roller coaster you wish was just for movies or somebody else's life is going to take another spin

No comments: